[RESENT] TIME_GetBias

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Thu Mar 18 10:34:57 CST 2004

Mike McCormack wrote:

> Hi Shachar,
>
> Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>
>> Do you realize that time zone information is hardly a static thing?
>> For some countries, such as Israel, time zone is something that
>> changes annually. Do we really need the chore of keeping that up to
>> date? Also, how are people going to update their local setup?
>

> How does Windows deal with this then?
>
> I think in the end, we'll have to go the route of storing our own
> timezone information.  Aric has done some investigation into
> timezones, and found that glibc has no standard API for determining
> the all the information that Wine needs to implement Win32.
>
> Perhaps we can use glibc's data, by importing it, and storing it the
> same way as Windows does... presumably in the registry or a data file
> somewhere... Anybody know how that works?
>
> Mike

In a nutshell - not well.

Windows has a set of keys in the registry that store the timezone
information. After Windows 95 they gave up on following the timezone in
Israel. I guess we can try and figure out the registry timezone info
structure, but then we'll be only as good as Windows, while we actually
have enough information to be better! That sounds like an awful shame.

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Systems Consulting