Win32 packages released on sourceforge

Paul Millar paulm at astro.gla.ac.uk
Mon Mar 22 10:09:38 CST 2004

Hi Dimi,

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> > Can I set WINE_BUILD to some fixed value?  If so, what's a good one to
> > use?
>
> The WINE_BUILD value must be valid, we can't distribute a winetest.exe
> with a fixed value in there. What you can do is fix it at build time
> to a known value (say YYYYMMDDhhmm), and replace it after the build
> with the proper value.

'k.  AFAIK, that won't work like that (because of the COFF/PE internal
checksum field)  but it that's easily worked around: just build twice.
The second time use the "real" WINE_BUILD date.  Shouldn't hurt much.

> Now, when do we build? I don't think we should trigger the build based
> upon CVS commits, we need it a bit more controlled for a variety of
> reasons.

... err, why?  This is how WRT works.  The idea was to tag the
cross-building as part of what WRT does normally, so its easiest to
cross-build on-demand rather than via a cron job.

> Here is what I propose:
>   -- decide on a time at night when the tree is very unlikely to change
>      (say 4am).
>   -- every day, at 4:10am we do:
>      cvs up -D YYYYMMDD0400
>      (this way we know _precicely_ what we built, and we can reporduce it)
>   -- do the build (fix WINE_BUILD), check if the winetest.exe really changed.
>   -- if it changed, edit WINE_BUILD and set it to YYYYMMDD0400.
>   -- publish the result as winetest-YYYYMMDD0400.zip via the CGI script

OK, that would work, but I don't see the need for this.  Plus, building at
fixed times makes it less flexible.  Suppose Alexandre is working late, or
from somewhere foreign :)

> But the main point here is that we can't build based on CVS committs, we
> need a well known, controlled point where we build so that developers
> can reproduce the build and investigate problems.

The two points are orthogonal, well-known control points are achieved by
storing when the CVS update was done in the .zip filename and in the
WINE_BUILD string (stored within the winetest.exe).

Anyone should be able to reproduce the output by extracting this date
(from the .zip filename, or from winetest.exe), "cvs up -D"-ing and
cross-compiling themselves.

Cheers,

Paul.

----