Win32 packages released on sourceforge

Geoff Thorpe geoff at geoffthorpe.net
Tue Mar 23 10:29:45 CST 2004

Excuse the late jumping in, but ...

On March 22, 2004 06:50 pm, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> As for the issue of nighly build vs. randomly initiated build: we can
> argue till the cows come home. It seems that we have different points
> of view. If you want to have CVS-triggered builds for WRT, all the
> power to you, they makes sense in that (controlled) environment. For
> the nightly builds however, I would really like having a build that's
> kicked off at a precise moment in time (and as we discussed, 10GMT
> seems a good choice).

Is it not possible, somehow, for Alexandre to indicate when he has
finished a run of commits? I know he endeavours to keep CVS stable by
committing under the "Do No Harm" principle, but obviously the chances of
hitting a snag are greater during a run of commits than once they are
done. Certainly the *usefulness* of the testing is greater once the run
is over, no matter what time(s) of day he may choose to do such
processing. Presumably Alexandre has some mechanism of his own to
incrementally test things during the wine-patches --> wine-cvs
processing. Presumably also, there is some point in that mechanism of his
where he might like having a large green button to the effect of; "thou
alt solid locally, release thyself unto the distributed test network
whereapon I shall know thy fidelity on the morrow". Or words to the
effect ...

> Please try to understand that as a developer on Wine, having this extra
> variability adds _nothing_ but headache. It makes it harder to think
> about the problem, to talk about it, to script for it, etc. I don't
> need it, and I don't want it.

Exactly, and again Alexandre is not only another (the?) wine developer,
but also the one pulling the CVS strings - surely there must be some
painless way to trigger these "snapshot moments" from his end. That is,
after timezones have been argued to hell and back, really the only place
where the right moment for a useful test can be accurately determined
(and without unduly delay).

Cheers,
Geoff

--