i810 audio fixes 1/2

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Tue Mar 30 08:19:19 CST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:56:46 -0500, Robert Reif wrote:
> If usability rather than performance (as in  multiple applications) is
> important, then higher level drivers like jack or arts should be used.

Apart from JACK which is used in pro-audio situations, sound
servers are probably going to be phased out on Linux within the next 12-24
months as people migrate to the 2.6 kernel with ALSA and the dmix/asym
plugins.

So, I still think the best way to solve this problem is simply to
have a winecfg check box that says "Use hardware accelerated audio" which
people who desire better performance can tick: they incur extra CPU
overhead and the benefit is that they can use all their apps together. For
many uses of Wine audio support is simply required for the bling!bling!
sounds programs sometimes make.

This is probably easier on the user than asking them to change their
backend Wine audio driver.

thanks -mike