Running "United Devices Agent" (was: Re: Unhandled API Call to Kernel32 Question)

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon May 10 00:46:32 CDT 2004

Roger wrote:
> I am attempting to run a native windows VB6 app (United Devices)
> in wine, fake windows, but I continue to encounter an
> unimplemented/unhandled API call "CreateRemoteThread"
> Any advice where I go from here as I want to dump win, get more hd space but I need this app?

Unless you're willing to pay for its development, don't
hold your breath; I have a feeling CreateRemoteThread might
be a tricky one to implement.

Can you give a URL to the application in question?
Is it the one at http://www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm ?
I just tried installing that for fun.  Here's what I learned:

1. It requires MSI.  I was able to download and run InstMsiA.exe from microsoft.com no problem.
2. It refuses to install on "Windows 95", so I had to edit ~/.wine/config
and set Version to winnt.  (Couldn't figure out how to do it selectively,
had to do it for all apps.)
3. When the installer finished, it put up the "UD Agent Registration" dialog.
Clicking on "Login" failed, and Wine displayed the warning
fixme:ole:VarOr unimplemented part, V_VT(left) == 0x1, V_VT(right) == 0xB
I'm running wine-20040213, so perhaps this has since been fixed ...
or maybe not.  Andreas Mohr implemented part of VarOr about 16 months ago
(http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/12/0625.html) and
has been waiting for feedback ever since.

Maybe you're already past that problem, I don't know.
But it'd be nice if somebody updated VarOr to handle this
case.  That's probably easier than the CreateRemoteThread issue, btw.

- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com