Running "United Devices Agent" (was: Re: Unhandled API Call to Kernel32 Question)

Roger obc at toast.net
Mon May 10 11:34:17 CDT 2004

Dan wrote:

> Can you give a URL to the application in question?
> Is it the one at http://www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm ?
> I just tried installing that for fun.  Here's what I learned:

Yes, that's the correct URL, sorry, should have included.

> 1. It requires MSI.  I was able to download and run InstMsiA.exe from
microsoft.com no problem.
> 2. It refuses to install on "Windows 95", so I had to edit ~/.wine/config
> and set Version to winnt.  (Couldn't figure out how to do it selectively,
> had to do it for all apps.)
> 3. When the installer finished, it put up the "UD Agent Registration"
dialog.
> Clicking on "Login" failed, and Wine displayed the warning
> fixme:ole:VarOr unimplemented part, V_VT(left) == 0x1, V_VT(right) == 0xB
> I'm running wine-20040213, so perhaps this has since been fixed ...
> or maybe not.  Andreas Mohr implemented part of VarOr about 16 months ago
> (http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/12/0625.html) and
> has been waiting for feedback ever since.
>
> Maybe you're already past that problem, I don't know.
> But it'd be nice if somebody updated VarOr to handle this
> case.  That's probably easier than the CreateRemoteThread issue, btw.

After Msi is installed, I run the UD installation accepting the defaults
which
proceeds fine without major incident.  I cancel the signup (I"m already a UD
member) and copy all the files (except UD.exe) from a windows box crunching
an
inprogress work unit (temp stoping the agent prior to copy) over to the
Linux
'United Devices' dir.  Running wine ud.exe, the agent opens nicely putting a
little
pill icon in the tray and counts time (I have nice screen shots) per normal.
Problem is, nothing is being processed.

I have snips of ps -Afm and wine errors msgs I can attach which illustrate
the
PID/thread relationships and can diagram the PID equivalents under windows
if
desired.

Thanks, Roger