Building WINE with Intel ICC for Linux

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 15:42:19 CDT 2004

Hello,
I was able to build WINE with the Intel Compiler for Linux. Intel
allows free usage for non-comercial works so I figured I would check
and see if changing compilers would yield better performance. According
to Intels site it is supposed to give a 15 to 30% speed boost in
applications. I was able to compile WINE with only about a 10 line
patch. Somehow some of of the inline asm is already getting defined by
icc. I am having some problems running graphical applications and maybe
it is related to the code I had to disable. If anyone else wants to
test I figure this might be a good tool to have if you are porting a
Winelib application and want a large performance speed up.

I was able to get all of WINE to build but was not able to run any
graphical applications due to the crash show in the attached crash.log
I was however able to run quite a few console applications including
regresion tests which showed failures quite a few failures.

If anyone is interested in building WINE with the Intel Compiler I will
be happy to test a bit but I dont have a lot of time to put in to it.
Attached is my hack.diff and the log from trying to run regedit.

1. Download ICC and run icsvar.sh
2. apply the following patch
3. Configure wine with ./configure CC=icc
4. recompile WINE.

Thanks
Steven