Getting the API's for Windows Applications

Jacobus Erasmus jacobus at kewlconcepts.co.za
Tue May 18 04:51:21 CDT 2004

Is it possible to workout or read the API's that a specific Windows
application use ?

The theory is that it would be possible to estimate the amount of work
needed to get a Windows app to work on Wine by calculating the number of
API's that is not working or only half working and estimating the time
it would take to correct these API's.

By running wine-debug it is possible to get the API's used by an
application. I'm hoping that there is some simpler way (although I'm not
holding my breath) to read the API's used by an application directly
from the .exe or .dll.

I'm working on a utility that would collect this information and
estimate the number of man hours it would take to get an application
running on Wine. Also I'm hoping to build a utility that can collect
stats on the API's being used in an application as well.

The idea is to build a web page with these statistics for the
applications that people want to run on a wine installation. If we can
get some participation on the work and completeness of an API. It should
be able to build a pretty accurate picture of the amount of work that
needs to be done to get an app running under Wine.

There is some other interesting side effects that I will not elaborate
on until I have something in place (this is very simple but time does
not permit. Somebody feels better equip to do this please say so)

If not I will probably get arround to doing something this weekend.

Cu
jacobus at kewlconcepts.co.za