Upcoming breakage warning

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Wed May 19 03:46:50 CDT 2004

Hi,

On Fedora Core 2, the kernel is compiled with the 4G/4G VM split option
enabled, which can prevent us from performing a correct emulation.

Win32 apps are apparently built with the assumption that they will not
be allocated addresses beyond the 3G boundary. The solution therefore is
to perform a similar trick to the preloader and reserve the address space
before the emulation starts so mmap will never use addresses in that area.

This probably won't be combined with the preloader itself though, as
Alexandre says it can be done after Wine gets control (what about DSOs
mapped >3gig?) and so it can be done more portably. Up until now this
issue has only affected Solaris and therefore nobody fixed it.

There is currently no known workaround for this problem short of
recompiling your kernel. The error looks like this:

wine: unable to create process heap

Alexandre diagnosed this problem so I'm sure he'll correct me if this
email contains any mistakes.

thanks -mike