[ros-kernel] Re: [ros-cvs] CVS Update: reactos

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Sun May 23 08:24:36 CDT 2004

"Steven Edwards" <steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I agree with you and wish we could share more. I discussed abstracting
> WINE user32/gdi32 and creating a Win32k.sys implementation for Wine so
> we could try to hide the x11drv behind it but at the time Alexandre
> does not seem very interested in the idea. The way it stands right now
> while WINE is more correct in its functionality its implementation is
> not 100% correct for the design we are trying to replicate. If we can
> change this in WINE, then sure lets share even more and stop
> duplicating work.

Fortunately Wine unlike ReactOS does not depend on internal Windows
kernel interfaces. Moreover, by introducing such interfaces in Wine
we gain nothing but a slowdown and hard to read code, because actual
functionality still needs to be inside of x11drv.

However that doesn't mean that Wine user32/gdi32 code can't be used
in ReactOS. You still can use it as a base and a reference point for
your implementation. Yes, that's more work than just copying a ready
to use code, but that's your choice.

--
Dmitry.