failure report: Astrum installer

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun May 23 18:25:39 CDT 2004

Looking through the debug log for my failed attempt to install picasa,
I saw that the installer it uses is called Astrum;
see http://www.thraexsoftware.com/aiw/
A free demo of that installer is downloadable from
http://www.thraexsoftware.com/download/aiw.exe
Predictably, it doesn't run under Wine, either; it
also puts up a dialog box at the beginning (which
unhelpfully doesn't show any text), and if you click
"ok", it just puts up the same dialog box again.

I tried for a while to figure out WINEDEBUG settings
that would provide some illumination about what's
wrong.  Best I came up with was
WINEDEBUG=warn+all,+dialog,+text wine aiw.exe  > log 2>&1
in hopes I could tell what the missing text was, but
no dice.

Given that this is a free-ish installer, and more
apps might start using it than just Picasa, maybe it's worth looking into...
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com