Calendars

Joshua Walker halkun2002 at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 04:39:20 CDT 2004

Japanese also use a different system to indicate the
year. They use the year of the emperor. For example
today's year is 14 Heisei (The current emperor has
been in power scense 1990.)  When Emperor Hirohito
died in 1989, Japanese programmers had to reprogram
thier computers to deal with the new "year" as many
were hard-coded for the old emperor. Y2K wasn't much
of a problem because the Japanese had updated thier
computers ten years pervious.

Nowadays on computers, they simply list the julian
year, then month, then day, and then the character of
day of the week

2002(sei)/05(getsu)/14(hi) (Getsuyobi)

abbreviated, it looks like this --> 04.05.24

Here;s what the command "date" gave me as output

2004年  5月 24日
月曜日

Here's what cal gives me...

      5月 2004
日 月 火 水 木 金
土
                   1
 2  3  4  5  6  7  8
 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Just remeber, year comes first and  the date is
seperated by periods if you want to drop the
characters.

http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2003/December/msg00049.html