Help with winedbg

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Wed May 26 03:16:44 CDT 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to get a Visual C compiled program to run on Wine. I have the
sources and full debug info for the PE part of the program. Obviously,
however, it was not compiled on the same machine on which it is running.

To make things even more interesting, I would rather use some GUI
frontend for the debugger.

As far as I can tell, I have two options to go about this:
1. Use Visual Studio's remote debugging
2. Use winedbg as a gdb backend for ddd

Option 1 fails miserably. I suspect the project is just too complex for
Visual Studio to handle over the wire. When I try to do that, the Visual
Studio front end (the one running on a Windows machine) crashes. This
leaves me with just option 2.

When I try to run it like that (winedbg --gdb --no-start), winedbg
starts ok. When I hook ddd to it, however, winedbg complains about a
missing source file (one that is not in the Windows source, btw). In the
mean while, ddd claims to time out on the connection, and closes down.

Am I missing something?

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh