How difficult would it be to make the equivalent of Windows Terminal Server with Wine?

Hans Leidekker hans at it.vu.nl
Mon Nov 1 10:32:48 CST 2004

On Monday 1 November 2004 16:27, Boaz Harrosh wrote:

> Actually all it is on windows is a shell access with an invocation of
> ssh -X, And the regular IE's safe-for-scripting stuff.
> (ssh is installed along side with the cygwin/X server)

I think the use of ssh is a good choice because it let's you transparently
encrypt the X connection as well as restrict the use of the connection. For
example with ssh you can tie an authorized key to a single command, which
in this situation would be the command to start the windows app. So you
don't give away full shell access (not immediatley at least) and with the
exchange of keys you can also achieve a non-interactive login.

I do this all the time when I run cross compiled Wine tests. I have a Win2k
VMWare instance on my laptop (could be a machine anywhere else on the network)
which has Cygwin + sshd installed and the Wine source tree mounted on drive w:
over SMB. A session then looks like this:

 $ ssh -t hans at win2k 'w:/dlls/kernel/tests/kernel32_crosstest.exe change'
 change: 88 tests executed, 0 marked as todo, 0 failures.
 Connection to win2k closed.

Saves you a lot of mouse moving and clicking before you can run the binary
on Windows. This gives me a very fast 'change source -> compile -> run on
Wine and Windows' cycle because I essentially don't have to leave my shell.

Sorry for getting off-topic. I just thought others might find this interesting
as well.

 -Hans