The Return of IE6 Problems

Dan McGhee farmerdan at i-rule.net
Tue Nov 2 07:19:22 CST 2004

Hopefully,  this time I have generated more specific and relevant
information.  I have done regressions to identify the patches that may
be causing the symptoms.  I have duplicated these results by using
./tools/wineinstall, make && make depends and wineprefixcreate.
Although I was not able to get the help engine functional, I duplicated
the IE6 not running symptom by installing IE6 manually.  Additionally
these symptoms are current as of a wine compiled from cvs the morning of
October 30, 2004.

Statement of symptoms:
1.  Until the commit of 20040824 16:00:16 CDT, patch 13475, IE6, when
installed using Mike Hearn's script ran and the help engine was
functional.  After the patch, the help engine was not functional.
2. With the commit of 20040927 15:39:42 CDT, patch 13938, IE6, installed
using the script or manually, would not initialize.

If I substitute system.reg and user.reg from a version of wine compiled
before patch 13475 for the files of the same names in a version of wine
compiled from cvs updated on the morning of 20041030, IE6 runs and the
help engine is functional.

The common denominator for this situation is that these patches modified
some of the same files.  Patch 13475 implemented itss.dll and modified
wine/dlls/Makefile.in, wine/configure.ac and wine/configure.  A partial
implementation of advpack.RegInstall, Patch 13938 also modified
wine/dlls/Makefile.in, wine/configure.ac and wine/configure in addition
to adding /wine/dlls/advpack/reg.c.  Although IE6 would still
initialize, patch 13937 added advpack to the repository.

I do not have the ability to read the changes and try to interpret
them.  I can only supply information that I think is relevant or for
which someone specifically asks me.  I have logs of installing and
running IE6 before and after the patches.  I have the system.reg and
user.reg files also.  In addtion I have diff files of the befores and
afters.

This is the difference between system.reg-before-patch-13475 and
system.reg-after-patch-13938.  This file was "egrepped" for itss|advpack:

> -@="C:\\windows\\system\\itss.dll"
> -@="C:\\windows\\system\\itss.dll"
> -@="C:\\windows\\system\\itss.dll"
> -@="C:\\windows\\system\\itss.dll"
> -@="C:\\windows\\system\\itss.dll,0"
>  "StubPath"="rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx
> c:\\windows\\inf\\icw.inf,PerUserStub,,36"
> +"050"="rundll32.exe advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32
> c:\\windows\\system\\dacui.dll"
> +"054"="rundll32.exe advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32
> c:\\windows\\Catroot\\icatalog.mdb"
>  "000"="rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx
> c:\\windows\\system\\ieuinit.inf,BackupCryptoKeys.Win,,36"
>  "QuietUninstallString"="Rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx
> c:\\windows\\inf\\iedom.inf,,,256"
>  "QuietUninstallString"="rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx
> c:\\windows\\inf\\hhupdcab.inf,,,256"
>  "QuietUninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx
> c:\\windows\\inf\\icw.inf,,,256"
>  "QuietUninstallString"="rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx
> c:\\windows\\inf\\unie5bak.inf,,,256"
>  "QuietUninstallString"="rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx
> c:\\windows\\inf\\iereadme.inf,,,256"

This is an excerpt from the difference between user.reg before and
after.  The whole file is 21k and I will be more than happy to supply it
if someone wants the whole thing.

> --- user.reg.before-13475    2004-10-25 15:56:16.000000000 -0500
> +++ user.reg.after-13938    2004-10-26 20:29:16.000000000 -0500

> -[Environment] 1098735476
> +[Environment] 1098839302
> +"PATH"="c:\\windows;c:\\windows\\system;e:\\;e:\\test;f:\\"
> +"Systemroot"="c:\\windows"
> +"TEMP"="e:\\"
> +"TMP"="e:\\"
> +"USERPROFILE"="c:\\windows\\Profiles\\Administrator"
> +"windir"="c:\\windows"
> +"winsysdir"="c:\\windows\\system"

I didn't use this section from any stance of relevance, but only to
demonstrate the difference in the number strings in the [Environment]
lines.  10987xxxxx changed to 10988yyyyy is typical both in the
system.reg and user.reg files.  This section is typical of numbers of
lines either present with patch 13938 or absent with it.  There are very
mand "dword=.............." that are present before patch 13475 and gone
after 13938.

I have also attached the output of winedbg when running IE6 after patch
13938 and with the system.reg and user.reg files created from the recent
version of wine.

I thought that this situation could be the results of the changes in
wine between now and the time that Mike Hearn wrote his script.
However, I was able to duplicate the systems by installing IE6 using
Method 2 from Frank's Corner.

If anyone has any "hacking" they want me to try, I will be more than
happy to do it.  Also, if someone wants more information, I will be
happy to send what I already have or generate more.

Thanks,

Dan