Has anyone done this before?

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Thu Nov 4 08:34:18 CST 2004

Le mer 03/11/2004 à 19:00, Bill Medland a écrit :
> I would be interested in knowing if anyone has succeeded with this before I
> start getting too carried away trying to fix the errors.  When I tried I got
> an X error (BadWindow).
>
> I am sitting at a RedHat 8.0 computer
> with a VPN tunnel to a remote network (Microsoft VPN server)
> ssh through that VPN to a remote computer running RHEL3 (ES)
> Set DISPLAY back to my end of the VPN tunnel, to my display
> Prove it works by typing xterm in the ssh session
> Try running winemine
> After rebuilding the cached metrics it momentarily (in the non-American sense)
> opens something and then closes it and gives me the X error.
>
> Does this stand a chance of actually working?

(The VPN should be transparent on both sides of the connection, right?
Anyway, if it works for xterm (or my personal favorite, eyes), it should
work for Wine also.)

I use it to build/test the RH packages each month. There are some
glitches sometimes:
- When running Wine on a RH7.3 box via ssh, it tries to open the
X-server at :0.0 and fails, but not the second time);
- There are some OpenGL related glitches too (during wine.inf) related
to the nvidia driver permissions on the remote computer (would have to
be more careful next time to take note of them).

Vincent