Kernel 2.6.9

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Sat Nov 13 03:47:52 CST 2004

Paul Rupe wrote:

>Has anyone tried Wine with Linux kernel 2.6.9?  I'm getting crashes with
>this version that don't happen when I reboot back to 2.6.8.1.  I haven't
>had much luck debugging it so far, but each time, ps shows a <defunct>
>wine-preloader process and wineserver still running.

What happens when you kill the wineserver?

I have seen errors where killed wine processes remained defunct even
after their parent has died. They were rebooted to init, but still
remained defunct. In certain (RedHat 2.4) kernels, such processes could
even keep sockets bound to ports, requiring a reboot.

While this is obviously a kernel bug, I wasn't able to form a
reconstruction in a way suiteable for having a kernel guru have a look
at it. The system with which this problem was happening was too complex
(and proprietary) to ship to someone else, and the problem was inconsistant.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.