Is it time to delete wineinstall?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Nov 14 17:34:33 CST 2004

James Hawkins wrote:

>>>You can but Alexandre wants to keep it to make it easier for new Linux
>>>users to build and install Wine.
>>
>>OK, but wineinstall seems to do more than wineprefixcreate;
>>shouldn't they do exactly the same thing when setting up
>>the registry and drives?
>
> For many, wine is a stepping stone from windows to linux.  It eases
> the relocation process.  For those people, ./configure, make, and make
> install isn't so trivial or automatic.  What they are used to is a
> single setup.exe like in windows

Most people install RPMs, they don't build from source.

That's fine.  I'm not arguing against having such a script
that does the configure / make / make install .
What I object to is that there is *duplicated code* between
wineprefixcreate and wineinstall, and it's already diverging.
e.g. wineinstall contains

   if [ ! -d ~/.wine/dosdevices ]
   then
     [ -d ~/.wine ] || mkdir ~/.wine
     mkdir ~/.wine/dosdevices
     ln -s /mnt/fd0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/a:
     ln -s $CROOT ~/.wine/dosdevices/c:
     ln -s /cdrom ~/.wine/dosdevices/d:
     ln -s /tmp ~/.wine/dosdevices/e:
     ln -s ~ ~/.wine/dosdevices/f:
     ln -s / ~/.wine/dosdevices/z:
   fi

   if [ "$WINEINSTALLED" = 'no' ]
   then
       tools/wineprefixcreate --update --use-wine-tree .
   else
       wineprefixcreate --update
   fi

and wineprefixcreate contains

if [ ! -d "$WINEPREFIX/dosdevices" ]
then
     mkdir "$WINEPREFIX/dosdevices"
     [ -d "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c" ] || mkdir "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c"
     ln -s "../drive_c" "$WINEPREFIX/dosdevices/c:"
     ln -s "/" "$WINEPREFIX/dosdevices/z:"
fi

Now, why the different list of drives in the two scripts?
And why does wineinstall have *any* of what's in wineprefixcreate,
since it then immediately calls wineprefixcreate?

Code forking is evil, and makes bugs harder to reproduce.
How 'bout we at least nuke the part of wineintall that
duplicates what's in wineprefixcreate?

- Dan