Kernel 2.6.9 - Issue Found

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 20:37:25 CST 2004

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 05:35:43PM -0700, Jesse Allen wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 05:23:19PM -0700, Jesse Allen wrote:
> > Patch 1:  ptrace single-stepping fix
> > Included in 2.6.9-rc1
> > By Davide Libenzi?
>
> corrected link:
> http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.6/[email protected]

Davide Libenzi wrote this about his patch and concerning the small note
about breaking debuggers:

'If the "debugger" has a bolt-in rule to expect the instruction following
the INT# to be skipped, yes. As far as debuggers that are really used
goes, it did not break any of them. If this copy protection for example,
has a bolt-in instruction sequence that expect the instruction following
INT# to be skipped, than I believe they should code it better. Patch 1
does simply enable the debugger to see every instruction to the ptrace'r.
While before the instruction following INT# were silently skipped.'