epoll, LSB (was: Re: Problem roundup)

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Nov 20 19:09:18 CST 2004

Mike Hearn wrote:
>> can't we package Wine as an LSB package?
>
> No, that's really not possible/sensible.
>
>> I suspect Wine depends on nothing that isn't in the LSB.
>
> I suspect it depends on a lot, for instance FreeType, OpenSSL, CUPS,
> fontconfig, libasound/arts/jack, SANE, libjpeg etc etc.

LSB 2.0 doesn't deal with sound, scanning, or printing (beyond lpr, anyway?),
so an LSB 2.0 version of Wine would probably have to do without those.
That'd be fine for me - I never use any of those features -
but I realize that real users require themm.

LSB 3, on the other hand, is going to add Gnome support, so they're
at least thinking about the desktop now.
(Your other objections - FreeType, fontconfig, libjpeg, OpenSSL, etc -
could be packaged along with an LSB implementation of Wine, so they're
not really an issue.)

It would be worth doing an LSB 2.0 implementation of Wine as a
demonstration of what's missing in the LSB; IMHO it would help
put pressure on the LSB folks to include the missing bits
in the next version.

But remember, LSB can only standardize what has already stabilized
in the field, and things like sound and printing are only now
starting to not suck on Linux...
- Dan