ptrace single-stepping change breaks Wine

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Sun Nov 21 22:29:06 CST 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> So it seems it did not work even before, the gdb-SIGTRAP stepping. In
> 2.6.8 I get a straight segfault just for running it.

Ok, that at least means it's not a regression, although it may be that the
altered behaviour is enough to make some program work/not-work depending
on exactly what it is testing. My example is certainly not the only way to
try to mess up a debugger.

I'm by no means 100% sure that we should encourage the kind of programming
"skills" I showed with that example program, so in that sense this may not
be worth worrying about. That said, I do hate the notion of having
programs that are basically undebuggable, so from a QoI standpoint I'd
really like to say that you can run my horrid little program under the
debugger and see it work...

		Linus