dlls/mscms/profile.c breakage

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Nov 24 06:13:12 CST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Hans Leidekker wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 November 2004 14:07, Francois Gouget wrote:
>
>> What I meant is that we should check for one of these new APIs that we
>> need, and if we don't find it we should just do as if lcms.h was
>> missing.
>
> Yes of course, I meant that too, and we should do that. But you presented
> this as a better solution for the breakage Gerald experienced than asking
> him to upgrade to lcms 1.13, which I don't agree with.

I do think it's a better solution. Just like it's better to let Wine
compile even if the ALSA development libraries are not installed or
obsolete, eventhough the resulting winealsa is going to be
non-functional.

If you want to make sure that users don't accidentally build Wine
without lcms support you could modify configure.ac to print out a
warning like we do for ALSA & co:

if test -z "$ALSALIBS"
then
   echo "*** Alsa not detected. The winealsa.drv.so driver will be a dummy."
fi

However i'm not sure that's warranted.

A related question is which version is normally shipped on FreeBSD (and
I guess that's likely different for 4.x and 5.x). I guess that for 4.10
this is 1.09 but for 5.x it's probably a more recent version. Next
question is: with the threading / memory allocation issues, does Wine
have a chance to run right on 4.x? If not and lcms is up-to-date enough
in 5.x then supporting the old 1.09 is probably not a priority.

          Demander si un ordinateur peut penser revient \xE0 demander
                          si un sous-marin peut nager.