Winecfg -> browse for folder

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Wed Nov 24 09:30:21 CST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 15:53 +0100, Robert van Herk wrote:
> Also, we'd have the problem that when other processes are active and
> using the disks, these disks will be unmounted :-).

Good point. I was assuming that if you're reconfiguring drives in
winecfg while other apps are running you'd be aware that may happen but
I suppose we should not assume that.

> Therefore, I'd say
> that using this approach, it is probably nicer to have a magic wine flag
> that let the SHBrowseForFolder thingy show the unix directory listing,
> then instead first unmount all drives and then remount just Z: on the /
> directory. Unmounting, replacing and restoring the entire windows file
> system seems a bit ugly to me...

Yes that'd work as well. I'd rather have a magic winecfg flag than
copy/paste the code as that way we get bugfixes in shell32
automatically. But Alexandre tends to prefer copy/paste over hacking
code around or using static libraries, so I'm not sure which way he'd
prefer here.

> So I guess all I'm needing is a temporary folder to mount the stuff in
> and then make that the root...

That'd work except that GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPoint is a stub in
Wine. I do not know how hard it'd be to implement. Eric?

> Anyways: the choice is still: should I reimplement SHBrowseForFolder,
> but then for Unix file system, or should I mount the stuff in a Windows
> directory and then use that as pidlRoot for the normal SHBrowseForFolder?

Right now, it'd be easiest to add a winecfg mode to SHBrowseForFolder.
But it's Alexandres call.

thanks -mike