Adding debuginfo Support to Wine Makefiles

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Wed Nov 24 12:46:26 CST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 12:33 -0600, Robert Shearman wrote:
> It is already there. I added support for it a few months ago.

Oops, sorry.

> I wasn't very clear about what I wanted with the makefiles. Basically,
> this will be an optional post-build step. The way I am leaning towards
> at the moment is that "make install" will install with full debugging
> information, but "make install && make install-debuginfo" will strip the
> debug info into separate files and install it. AFAIK, the feature has
> been stable for a year and a few distros are making full use of it.
> Fedora definitely provides -debug packages that have the separate debug
> information.

Right, but for a while (this may even be still true) it messed up gdb
pretty badly. I suppose winedbg is unlikely to suffer the same problems
though.

Would "make install && make install-debuginfo" put binaries with full
debugging info both embedded and separate on the system then? Also, as
Fedora ships  -debuginfo rpms for everything presumably it doesn't
actually require build system changes, does RPM have some method of
doing this automatically? If so, why do we need explicit support for it?

thanks -mike