Fun desktop integration tasks

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Sun Nov 28 13:37:20 CST 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 08:35 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi - probably my first comment after lurking here for a few weeks. Is
> there anything that a user type (I'm not a developer in any sense) can
> do in this area?

I'm afraid they nearly all involve patching Wine, so not with this set
of suggestions no.

> I run Windows and have lots of apps I want to run
> under Wine. I've been entering info as I figue it out in the Wine bug
> database, but so far that isn't helping me get my programs running.

Right. Unfortunately finding bugs isn't too hard, it's fixing them
that's the hard part.

> I've wondered a number of times about installing Windows programs
> under Windows and extracting all of the changed registry entries and
> then reporting them somehow.
>
> Is this possible?

It is possible. It is unlikely to help in most cases.

> I'm not sure the apps I want to run are the ones you all would all
> 'common', but they are common to follks doing audio work. (recording,
> writing, etc.) In the end would this be helpful?

Sure, if you figure out how to make apps work feel free to post
information somewhere explaining how, or you could write a little script
to automate it as has been done with IE.

thanks -mike