audio driver autodetection

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 15:13:43 CDT 2004

I want to make sure I'm getting the right idea.  So I would implement
a new audio driver like winealsa, wineoss etc but named something like
wineautodetect.  This driver is actually a proxy that checks each of
the available drivers to see if they are available, and if so,
initialize that driver and send all audio messages to the it.  Would
the registry value for audio driver be wineautodetect instead of
winealsa, wineoss etc?  If this is how it is to be implemented,
nothing in winmm would have to be changed would it?  That's what I'm
thinking.  Are alsa, oss, arts etc the wave out part of winmm?  So
winmm makes calls to the wineautodetect driver like it would any other
driver, and then wineautodetect in turn passes those calls onto the
detected driver, right?  Ok that's about what I have right now.  Let
me know if you have any thought, ideas, or suggestions.

--
James Hawkins