audio driver autodetection

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Sun Oct 3 12:41:09 CDT 2004

Eric Pouech <pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr> writes:

> there were at that point two different discussions, which may boil
> down, someday, to the same thing:
> 1/ don't put driver detection in winmm. we want winmm to load drivers
> from the registry settings, so that it can be shared between, say,
> Wine and ReactOS. Each "OS" then decides how it's going to manage its
> drivers. Instead, for Wine, use a specific driver which will detect
> which hardware is present and then load the appropriate driver (and
> pass every message to it).

I don't think we want to add yet another driver just for
autodetection. Each driver should simply refuse to load if its
hardware isn't present, then winmm can load each of them in turn
until one succeeds.

> 2/ most of current wine audio drivers look very similar and share a
> great deal of code. It may be interesting to only make a unique audio
> driver which is going to pickup the decent hardware interface in the
> underlying OS.

Yes, we definitely want to move in that direction, the code
duplication we have now is a real mess.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org