iTunes, 1608: Unable to create InstallDriver instance

Olivier Kaloudoff kalou at kalou.net
Thu Oct 7 02:32:10 CDT 2004

Hi,

 	with a fresh clean install of wine, trying to run iTunesSetup.exe
gives the error given in the subject. It's related to DCOM, so Microsoft
recommands to download DCOM95 or DCOM98 ...

 	crawling again and again ... It turns out that some DCOM patches
have been written, and TransGaming is ready to give them away as LGPL,
asking for some Wine people to change their license to LGPL, too, instead
of pure GPL.

http://www.kernel-traffic.org/wine/wn20020522_123_print.html

 	ok .. so I don't understand the whole implications of this, but,
probably, switching these famous patches to LGPL would help much people to
have their applications run under Wine.

 	Did this point evolve since 2002 ? Did someone try to start a
rewrite of the relevant patches (I don't think this is the good way to
proceed, I would propose some compensation for their work to the GPL code
writers) ? Is there any light for the small users we are ? ;-)

Regards,

Olivier Kaloudoff
LUG Linux Azur
http://www.linux-azur.org