Wineconf 2005

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Fri Oct 8 10:39:50 CDT 2004

Hey Folks,

It's that time again, time to plan for another Wineconf.

There has been some back room chatter about Wineconf this
year, but no definitive plans.

A small cabal of people (myself included) think that we should
hold it in Southern Germany around February/March.

Marcus and Michael have each expressed that they might be able
to get a facility to hold it in, but those efforts have so far
not yielded anything definitive (I think we're tied up in big
company red tape).

Also, Huw Davies has offered to help host Wineconf in Oxford;
that essentially translates into an offer by CodeWeavers to
host Wineconf in mid March in Oxford.

However, I want to throw this open to discussion and see if
others have great ideas or if someone outside our secret cabal
wants to step up and make this happen in Southern Germany.

Based on our experience last year, I feel pretty strongly
that we need the following:

   1.  An inexpensive, yet easy to reach location.

       Connection to nice places to visit before/after
       is a plus, but should be a substantially secondary
       consideration imo.

   2.  Two rooms that can each hold about 30-40 people,
       ideally with white boards, power, and high
       speed internet.

   3.  Access to food and hotels, preferably all within
       walking distance of each other.  Since Europe is
       civilized, we should be able to walk from
       our Hotel to the conference, to a variety of
       food sources, and then, of course, to the pub.

Candidly, I don't know that this is all that complicated.
We'll likely be bringing enough people in that we should
be able to negotiate a pretty nice deal with a Hotel.
(We promise them xxx heads in beds, they give us conference
facilities for a weekend).

If someone wanted to help host Wineconf, and was willing
to facilitate a conversation between myself and a Hotel
that was well situated, CodeWeavers would be happy to sponsor
the conference (i.e. financially reassure the Hotel).

Thoughts?  Comments?

Cheers,

Jeremy