winetest results refused when run by wine

Robert Reif reif at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 11 17:07:14 CDT 2004

Ferenc Wagner wrote:

>>>That's exactly what we wanted to avoid.  Submitted results
>>>should * not come from Wine but genuine Windows systems, and
>>>       * be identifiable.
>>>So we decided to require some (small, one time) effort of
>>>people providing test suites.  For what you are doing, make
>>>test seems worth consideration.  If I guessed correctly. :)
>>>

>>[...] Why should winetest be restricted to windows only?
>>

>Well, it isn't.  It's just we'd like to see some
>identification on the data published on the webpage.
>Moreover, the processing scripts are not prepared for
>reports coming from Wine, which would lead to confusion.  It
>wouldn't be hard to fix, though, the report contains this
>information, but it's not presented to the reader.
>
>So, just read the README in the source directory, create
>(and keep up to date) those pesky files and give it a go.
>But we'd rather not drown in unusable reports coming from
>people running every executable in the Wine tree, and that's
>the reason for not having defaults.  We used to, btw.
>
>If I still miss your point, and you don't find it hopeless,
>please try to explain the difficulty you experience once more.

I would like to see winetest used for more than windows compatibility
and wine regressions. I would like to see it used as a diagnostic tool
for specific hardware and os combinations and specific system
configurations. I made sure the wave and dsound tests try to list
the specific hardware and drivers used to make identifying which
hardware/driver combinations work and which don't. If no one
runs these tests on wine because they are difficult to set up, then
how will we ever get feedback except from bug reports. When
diagnosing sound related problems in wine, the first step I recommend
doing after verifying that sound works outside of wine is to run the
wave and dsound regression tests (preferably in interactive mode) and
provide the results.

Since most people probably don't use sound or don't care about it, we
are not getting as much feedback as we could. Maybe what we need
is a separate wine hardware compatibility test to test if your hardware
is compatible with wine but I think winetest, while not created for that
purpose, could be used that way. If sound doesn't work properly on
someone's system but the don't use sound, we will not get a bug report
from them. However if they run winetest, we will know it doesn't work
and can then try to identify the problem, even if they don't know
or care about it. It might even be interesting to optionally run winetest
at installation time so we can tell them that what features of wine will
and will not work on their system as they currently have it configured.
Maybe we could add a test sound button to winecfg that runs the sound
related tests. I just want to see sound tested on as many systems as
possible so we can get it working reliably for everyone.