Wine on Debian on sun4m

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Tue Oct 12 08:23:10 CDT 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Olivier Kaloudoff wrote:

>       did you apply some sun4* patch before ./configure and make ? I'd
> be glad to compile wine on my sun4u sun, too.

What patch exactly are you talking about?  IMHO I haven't applied any
patch here in my sun box.

>  	I have the following headers installed on my machine, that might
> help you: (don't know if all are required by wine)

Thanks.  IMHO I am missing only last two ones related to wine:

> ii  linux-kernel-h 2.5.999-test7- Linux Kernel Headers for development
> ii  xlibs-dev      4.2.1-13       X Window System client library development f

I am afraid they won't help, but I will try installing them soon.

>  	here is were I'm stuck:
>
> gcc -c -I. -I. -I../../include -I../../include  -D__WINESRC__ -D_REENTRANT
> -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -gstabs+ -Wpointer-arith  -g -O2 -o
> interlocked.o interlocked.c
> interlocked.c:299:3: #error You must implement the interlocked* functions
> for your CPU
> make[2]: *** [interlocked.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/wine/libs/port'
> make[1]: *** [port] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/wine/libs'
> make: *** [libs] Error 2
>

>  	Hmmm. Seems that either there is an official patch to apply, or
> that I won't be able to run wine on sun4u ... I'm have not enough skill in
> C at this time.

Yes, Wine says it needs an implementation of interlocked* functions for
your CPU.  That is quite strange, as they seems to be implemented already:

s2 at austechia:/usr/src/wine-20040914$ grep -iA10 sun libs/port/interlocked.c
#elif defined(__sparc__) && defined(__sun__)

/*
 * As the earlier Sparc processors lack necessary atomic instructions,
 * I'm simply falling back to the library-provided _lwp_mutex routines
 * to ensure mutual exclusion in a way appropriate for the current
 * architecture.
 *
 * FIXME:  If we have the compare-and-swap instruction (Sparc v9 and above)
 *         we could use this to speed up the Interlocked operations ...
 */

Maybe some defines don't work?  I am going to simplify this c-file out to
find the inconsistence (during the next slice of my free time at this
machine).

BTW, what kernel version are you using?  Mine is 2.2.20.