UCS2 vs. UTF16 question

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Mon Oct 18 06:18:47 CDT 2004

Hi Juan,

I took the liberty of answering to the list. I hope you don't mind.

Juan Lang wrote:

>Hi Schachar, something you said earlier this year at
>wineconf caught my ear, and I think I'm finally
>understanding enough to ask about it.  You said
>Windows uses UCS2-LE (I think you did, anyway) rather
>than UTF16.  Is that true?

I most certainly didn't say that. I may have mentioned UCS4, but to the
best of my knowledge at the time, Windows uses UTF-16.

As a result of your email, I tried to check it again, however. The
results are somewhat inconclusive. I generated a file (attached)
containing two musical symbols in Unicode. These are from the codepoints
above U10000, and are therefor unrepresentable in UCS2.

Opening this file up in notepad reveals a mixed result. On the one hand,
they appear as two unknown characters (which seems to suggest that at
least Notepad understands this is UTF-16LE). On the other hand, I did
not manage to find any font that has any characters with codepoints
above U10000.

I'm hoping one of our far-eastern speakers jumps in with more insight
(Mike?). Are surrogates used on Windows? How common are they?

>  Does that then imply that
>Windows really can't handle characters outside the
>Basic Multilingual Plane?  Does that also imply that
>WCHARs are in fact fixed-width in Windows?

As far as I know, they are not. Sorry.

>I'm planning to write a tool to detect the following
>problematic bit of code:
>char str[] = "hi", *p = str + sizeof(str) - 1;
>p--;
>At least, it's problematic when str contains
>double-byte characters.

I'm not sure what you are aiming at achieving. Are you trying to hit the
beginning of the last character of the string? If so, then you do,
indeed, have a problem here.

>  If the type of char and p
>were WCHAR * instead, and WCHARs are fixed width,
>there isn't a problem.
>
>If you have thoughts on similar programming bugs
>relating to internationalization (use of strchr and
>strrchr, for example) I'd be interested to hear them.

In the past I have written programs that had to do MBCS (the non-unicode
Japanese encoding). This is an encoding in which some characters are one
byte, and some two. The best I could come up with was to build a wrapper
around std::string that had two bytes per character internally. When you
loaded a string, it would check character by character for whether it's
a double byte, and then have each string location contain exactly one
character. This allowed random access, as well as both forward AND
backwards scanning.

Fortunately, UTF is much better than MBCS. Given a byte in either UTF-8
or UTF-16, it's fairly easy to figure out whether it's part of a
surrogate, and what part. If you have assurance that the string you are
handling is a well formed one, you can do backward scans of a UTF string
fairly easily.

>Thanks,
>--Juan

>Declare Yourself - Register online to vote today!
>http://vote.yahoo.com

Do you want a gmail account?

             Shachar

--