[dx9-12] Major change to desgin

Ann and Jason Edmeades us at the-edmeades.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 16:33:54 CDT 2004

>> I have changed the design so only the Direct3D<interface><8/9> ones
extend
>> IUnknown, and so there is no reference counting of the IWineD3D
>> objects.

>I don't think that's a good idea. If you are using COM interfaces then
>you need to use them the COM way, this means IWineD3D should derive
>from IUnknown and freeing it should be done through the Release
>method. If you don't want to use standard COM then don't declare COM
>interfaces at all, create your own mechanism.

Well I have an interface, it just doesnt extend IUnknown. Aside from that it
is identical to any other com interface - I dont want to export all the
functions provided. Is it 100% required to extend IUnknown (and would this
mechanism not be equivalent to creating my own :-) )?

I really dont want reference counting on the objects either as it needs to
be forced that the reference counting is done on the IDirect3D* versions. I
ran out of ideas, and just dropped IUnknown!

>> Instead, when any Direct3D<interface><8/9> is Released to zero, then it
>> calls a Free method in its WineD3D equivalent interface. I also changed
the
>> IWineD3D interface to contain, as a void *, a pointer to its 'parent' (by
>> which I mean the Direct3D8/9 interface) plus a function (GetParent) which
>> returns that pointer.
>This is bad too, you shouldn't use void*, you should use proper types,
>at the very least IUnknown*, but preferably define an IWineD3DUser
>interface or something like that.

I would be happy with IUnknown *, but cant see any way to use my own type
other than a straight typedef to either void * or IUnknown. The problem is
wined3d needs to deal with both d3d8 and d3d9 interfaces and cannot #include
both d3d8 and d3d9 header files due to conflicts. We must store a pointer
which can go from the IWineD3D<interface> object to the
IDirect3D<interface>Object. I am happy to change it to anything, IUnknown *
is as good as any - Would this be ok?

Jason