Fix for bug 824 - proper handling of REG_MULTI_SZ

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Fri Oct 22 22:35:34 CDT 2004

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:

> I must be missing something, but I thought regular strings can not
> contain embedded nulls, so we can have a simple rule: don't store
> terminating nulls for simple strings, but store them for multi-strings.
> <me-thinks>
> Aha -- you mean that if we follow this rule, all is good, but we
> will not be backwards compatible because currently multi-strings
> don't have the embedded nulls, right?

Right; though the problem happens for regular strings too, they don't
necessarily have to be null terminated. And of course it would require
everybody editing the file to always remember to add terminating
nulls, which is much less user-friendly than what we have now.

> In that case, I guess we already have a versioning mechanism for
> the registry files, so we'll just have to go to the next version,
> and convert the old files to the new format.

That's a major PITA, certainly not justified for such a minor problem
that hasn't been demonstrated to cause any trouble in practice.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org