Writing tests

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Oct 28 12:47:56 CDT 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Walt Ogburn wrote:
[...]
> What is the reason for this difference?  Which example should new tests
> follow?  My guess is that LoadLibraryA and GetProcAddress are used if the
> headers, DLLs, and APIs might not be present on some Windows machines, so
> that the tests don't fail.

If the API is not going to be available on all Windows systems, then use
LoadLibrary()+GetProcAddress() so we can at least run the other parts of
the test on these platforms. In extreme cases you may have to tweak the
test so it does not link at all with the dll it's supposed to test if
that dll may be missing on some Windows versions (e.g. Windows 95 or
98).

Otherwise just use the standard header+link method. If in doubt, go with
with the header+link method and someone will fix the test if it does not
compile/run on Windows anymore.

> If that's correct, is there a list somewhere
> of which ones are safe and which ones should be handled like in the
> olefont test?

The MSDN may tell you that the API is Windows 200+ or some such. But
that's not very reliable: it's quite possible the API is there and just
returns ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED or some such.

                      Avoid the Gates of Hell - use Linux.