[Wine]How to help improving Wine?

Walt Ogburn reuben at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 28 21:38:36 CDT 2004

Hi Emanuele,

After poking around a bit, there seems to be a logical problem in Wine's
GDI code.  From the backtrace, SelectObject on this object calls
BRUSH_SelectObject, which uses a bitmap and eventually GetDIBits,
which tries to CreateCompatibleDC (or sometimes DeleteDC instead).
However, SelectObject always calls GDI_GetObjPtr, which calls
_EnterSysLevel and not _LeaveSysLevel.  But the CreateCompatibleDC
complains and dies if you have had an _EnterSysLevel and not a
_LeaveSysLevel.

It might be that BRUSH_SelectObject really should use a different set of
"internal" functions that won't complain about locking.  Or maybe
DeleteDC and CreateCompatibleDC should just increment the recursion level
instead of erroring out.  I don't know, so I'm forwarding to wine-devel
for greater insight.

- Walter

Here's a summary of the relevant part of my backtrace again:

1 _CheckNotSysLevel (complains!)
2 GDI_CheckNotLock
3 DeleteDC
4 GetDIBits
5 MFDRV_CreateBrushIndirect
6 MFDRV_SelectBrush
7 BRUSH_SelectObject
8 SelectObject - calls GDI_GetObjPtr, which does _EnterSysLevel.