How difficult would it be to make the equivalent of Windows Terminal Server with Wine?

Boaz Harrosh boaz at hishome.net
Sun Oct 31 02:33:02 CST 2004

Andrew Quigley wrote:

> What I would like to be able to deploy would be a system which runs
> multiple Win32 compatible desktops and multiple logins on a server,
> with the clients accessing the desktops via RDP or ICA protocols.  How
> many of the pieces required to accomplish that already exist, and what
> pieces have yet to be built? A quick search on freshmeat shows me a
> few different rdp clients, so it looks like the protocol spec is
> known. What would be involved in creating a RDP server that shows up
> as a video driver as far as the win32 programs are concerned?

I did something similar.

I used X, and have written an IE embeddable OCX that automatically
Installs X-Server and connects to the X applications on the server, in
my case they are Windows apps running under wine. So basically you set
up a web server on your Linux machine. You put a page with the different
apps you want to serve. The user uses IE to navigate to that page. When
clicking, the App comes up as a window in his/her machine. First time
visit Installs a 12M  Cygwin/X server.

I do intend to publish the OCX project as GPL. And the wise-script to
package the Cygwin/X installation. And also have available the binary
package.

Hope that can help
Free Life
Boaz