Wine and industrial communication like OPC

Rickard Svensson riq at mail.com
Wed Sep 1 04:44:53 CDT 2004

Hello!

I have some questions about Wine and how/if it can be used with industrial communication like OPC (MicroSoft Com/DCom objects, DDE and more)

My short question is:
Can I use Wine to make OPC communication work on a Linux system.

OPC "OLE for Process Control"
A "general" standard for communication in industrial systems, that unfortunately is totally depending on Windows(DCOM)

I work on a small company in Sweden who make industrial computers for the industry, and when we a few years ago had to choose operating system for our new model I got them to choose Linux. And almost everything is perfect, we have had a working product for almost a year now, and everything is good.
But now our company needs to support OPC, this is a big problem that makes a lot of people in the company start saying things like WinCE or Win XP embedded.

On www.opcfoundation.org ther are same companys how have made Unix OPC clients, but the license costs are hi.
Ther is also OPC true XML that is now a real product, that looks promising.

I'am in need to make/use same kind of OPC api(Wine DCom) for Linux, a api like that woode make many companys in the industrial computer intressted.
Or as a backup I could have a Win program running in Wine on the Linux machine talking with the main app on the same computer and talking OPC to other machines that need that.

I hope Wine and/or you can help me in this case. It would be a tragedy if we had to switch operating system just because of this.

/Rickard