Scrollbars and scrollwheel: -fomit-frame-pointer problems

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Fri Sep 3 03:36:41 CDT 2004

> Seems like I found out which flags causes trouble with the scrollbars and
> the mouse's scrollwheel: building wine without -fomit-frame-pointer flag
> makes it work right.

Using this switch is almost always a bad idea, as it makes getting
backtraces impossible. OK, without debug symbols, they are of only
limited usefulness but I've still been able to track down problems
before using a stripped backtrace.

-fomit-frame-pointer is one of those "optimizations" that does more harm
than good in my opinion.

If you are right and this is causing misbuilds, perhaps we should have a
check in the configure script for over-agressive optimization. Alexandre?