Create DLL stub files in c:\windows\system

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sat Sep 4 10:08:11 CDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 15:49, Vincent Béron wrote:
> What we could do is if such a cross-compiler is detected at build time,
> use it to build PE dlls in addition to ELF dlls (or in place of? Not
> sure yet). If no cross-compiler is detected, nothing different from now
> happens.

That would lead to the same program working for one person and not for
another, for no obvious reason. You could argue that already happens,
but I think we should try and avoid introducing even more ways it can
occur.

> How? Remove a particular touched dll from c:\windows\system? If you have
> two apps, one wanting the 0-sized dll and the other one choking on it,
> what do you do?

Well I doubt any app actually relies on a DLL being empty, that'd never
work on Windows. If you find an app which requires more than the
filename to exist then yes, you could can just overwrite it with a real
PE file.