Can WINE be made for DOS using GCC for DOS?

Erik de Castro Lopo wine at mega-nerd.com
Sat Sep 4 19:45:09 CDT 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 20:26:02 -0400
"Todd S." <sias.programming at suessweb.com> wrote:

> Hello! My name is Todd, and I know this sounds like a stupid question,
> but if it was ever possible, could the "WINE" application ever be
> built with the "DOS" version of GCC/G++ so Windows programs can be
> executed from DOS-mode?

No wine needs to run on top of a modern multitasking POSIX like
operatinging system. To do that on top of DOS would mean that
you basically need to replicate at least 50% of the features
of Linux before you could run Wine.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"    Baldie is such a wonderful villain
The Linux/OSS community could not possibly ask for a better villain than
our man Baldie. He is absolutely perfect for the part. Just look at his
creds: 1) Physically repulsive; 2) Morally bankrupt; 3) Megalomaniacal;
4) Possessed of a truly nasty, abusive disposition; 5) Prone to Hitlerian
ranting; 6) Stalinesque paranoia... The list just goes on and on. The man
has the gift of true despicability, no doubt about it. If it weren't for
Baldie we'd be stuck with Bilgatus' merely vacuuous and creepy persona
for an anthropomorphization of the Evil Empire -- tepid at best."
  -- Matthew Alton in LinuxToday.com on Steve Balmer