Possible fun project/todo list item?

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Mon Sep 6 10:22:13 CDT 2004

Le lun 06/09/2004 à 04:29, Mike Hearn a écrit :
> > I'd rather manually download GnuTLS libraries and use them with wine
> > than install mozilla, which should be substanscially bigger - maybe 50
> > mb+?  (I'm guessing here.)
>
> Oh no, modern Mozilla based browsers such as Firefox are more like 5mb.

The Windows download is 5MB, the Linux one is 8MB. Once installed it
uses more than that of course (22MB for the Linux on).

> > Of course, including support for as many SSL programs/libraries as
> > possible whilst including fallback coding (note: I'd prefer run-time
> > detection, so we don't have to make stupid dependencies for wine
>
> Wine tries to do as much runtime detection as possible, as a general
> rule (thank goodness, far more enlightened than some projects are ...)

Which doesn't mean that the presence of headers upon compilation is not
needed, they're always needed. Merely installing Firefox from
mozilla.org won't be enough (because you won't have the development
headers). Some distributions do package the development headers, but not
all of them do. That's something to keep in mind as well.

Vincent