Create DLL stub files in c:\windows\system

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon Sep 6 14:56:29 CDT 2004

Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx> writes:

> On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 15:49, Vincent Béron wrote:
>> How? Remove a particular touched dll from c:\windows\system? If you have
>> two apps, one wanting the 0-sized dll and the other one choking on it,
>> what do you do?
>
> Well I doubt any app actually relies on a DLL being empty, that'd never
> work on Windows. If you find an app which requires more than the
> filename to exist then yes, you could can just overwrite it with a real
> PE file.

It's not that the app wants the dll to be empty, it's that it can deal
with the file not being there at all, but it can't deal with the file
being there but empty (since that would never happen on Windows). So
in many cases creating empty files makes things worse than not having
the files at all.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org