Wine and non ANSI charset fonts

Andreas Rosenberg sonix2003 at ctf-z.de
Fri Sep 10 12:53:12 CDT 2004

Hello guys,

after a long pause I'm back testing our application
(http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1536) with WINE.

In the meantime I've been working to prepare our application
for the east european/asian market (UTF16, wide char API).

This seems to work so far, but as soon as you enter text
requiring non ANSI glyphs, I'm only getting "square boxes" instead
of the desired characters.

So I was searching for another application that uses non ANSI glyhps with WINE.
I choosed Opera, because it's quite easy to install. But unfortunately Opera 7.x
crashed after entering the first URL. The function "WSAStringToAddress"
and some other WSA funtions were missing/stubs. Yesterday evening I fixed these
problems and just sent a patch making Opera work with Wine.

With Opera I'm now getting the same or similar effects.
just try the Opera in Wine and go to: http://www.viatech.com.tw/big5/index/index.jsp

So my question: is this a configuration problem? Konquerer displays the page
correctly, so the fonts on the Linux side have the correct glyphs available.
But it seems they are not available in WINE - I looked into the WINE config file
and found something like this:

;;default TrueType fonts with russian koi8-r encoding
"Default" = "-monotype-arial-*-*-*--*-*-*-*-*-*-koi8-r"
"DefaultFixed" = "-monotype-courier new-*-*-*--*-*-*-*-*-*-koi8-r"
"DefaultSerif" = "-monotype-times new roman-*-*-*--*-*-*-*-*-*-koi8-r"
"DefaultSansSerif" = "-monotype-arial-*-*-*--*-*-*-*-*-*-koi8-r"

This seems to define something regarding the cyrilic charset.
With these lines enabled, Opera can display russian pages correctly.

But what do I need to enter to get the glyphs of other character sets?
(chinese, hangul, etc...)

I read the Wine users guide regarding fonts, but it still does not
address the character set topic.Can anybody shed some light on this?

Regards
  Andy