Why is our OutputDebugString a server request?

Pouech Eric DMI AEI CAEN pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 14 02:00:20 CDT 2004

> I get the feeling that I misunderstood what you just said. What is the
> debug event? where do we do anything with it?
debug events are part of the Win32 debug API. A debugger (ie a process using the client side of this API) will get "debug events" (basically the type of the event and some additional information). Such events are process created/terminated, thread created/terminated, thread stopped and so on. One of these "debug events" is the sending of a debug string (by the program being debugged).
This means that running a "decent" debugger (decent meaning implementing the support for this debug event) will print all the OutputDebugString calls from the debuggee.
A+