Directx9

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Tue Sep 14 03:57:52 CDT 2004

> While this point will come eventually, it has not been reached: ANNOUNCE
> starts as follows:

I'm reminded of the saying, "if not now then when? if not you then who?"

> Once Wine is declared to be ready for "ordinary users", the development
> process should indeed change.

And when exactly is that?

"Ready" is a mostly meaningless, arbitrary target. Many users are using
Wine today despite its official alpha-ness.

> A good example on how to continue is KDE:

KDE bears no resemblence to Wine, they have always done releases with
release management.

> Currently, development is done in two different branches: HEAD and
> 3_3_BRANCH: In HEAD developers are free to develop things, add new things
> (and occasionally break things: HEAD doesn't even compile from time to
> time). 3_3_BRANCH must be stable, changes to it a reviewed etc. IMO,
> this would also be a good way for wine, once it's considered to be
> sufficiently stable and feature "complete".

There's no such thing for Wine. There is only increasing accuracy in the
   emulation. The TODO lists that have been drawn up for 0.9 and 1.0 are
themselves pretty arbitrary: 0.9 has a theme of tidying up the
interfaces but still stuff like execshield support was in there, WM
rewrite and so on.

I don't think it makes any sense to put it off indefinately on the
grounds that Wine is still a developers-only release. That's circular logic.