Directx9

brettholcomb at charter.net brettholcomb at charter.net
Tue Sep 14 10:54:36 CDT 2004

As a user watching this thread here's my comments - Mike is correct.  I understand Wine is not to 1.0 yet (close at .9 <G>) but we need something that is stable and that we can run while development is done in the unstable branch.  To be honest, Wine isn't going to be very useful and adopted until there is something that a user can install and know that if I have to update to a current verson and I pick the stable version that my apps that are running will continue to run.  At one time Wine was like this but in the last year it's gotten so that things that work don't anymore.  I have submitted bugs and done some regression testing but let's be honest - most don't have the skills, time or desire to do that but they want to move apps to Linux.  If anyone wants to use Wine for serious work to run apps they need then they won't use Wine.  Some may go to Crossover, others will just drop it and either go Windows for those systems or forget about Wine or it's derivatives.

As a user comments about letting things break and that users just have to put up with ituntil they are eventually fixed scare me!

Many projects have stable source that is intended for users and those who want to actually do something useful with the application and then they also have CVS which is for those who want to try out the latest, help fix bugs, etc.