extern variable question

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Sep 14 11:35:46 CDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Robert Reif wrote:
[...]
> >> extern variable:
> >>
> >> extern const DIDATAFORMAT c_dfDIJoystick;
[...]
> > It looks like it was added about ten days ago:
> > http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-patches/2004/08/0551.html
> > What date is your wine source tree?
> > - Dan
> >
> I added it.  I can access it fine from within the dinput dll but I can't
> access if from a winelib program.  The dll doesn't export it.  The lib
> on windows does.

Winelib does not support importing variables from other dlls.

My primitive understanding of it is that it's because for importing
functions we just add a small indirection by generating a small stub
that will jump to the right location, while you cannot use that trick
for variables as there is no possible indirection for them.

                      Computers are like airconditioners
                They stop working properly if you open WINDOWS