Directx9

Roger Olson u60 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 14 20:48:28 CDT 2004

Simple solution... Announce Wine Release 2004mmdd will be the last "stable"
release and future downloads are at your own risk until further notice then
go ahead and break it.  It saves parallel trees and/or branch maintenance
and allows developers to have their way.  I would speculate that Wine would
probably not  be broken all that long anyway (maybe periodically) but would
permit you developers the latitude required to very likely accelerate the
0.9, 1.0 goal time tables.

I am not a developer, I am a user and have been learning C and how Wine
works in my own spare time for the past 3 - 4 months and starting to
understand some of this.  I do have a formal education with extensive
experience in scientific/engineering experimentation techniques, quality
assurance analysis, etc and direct customer relations as a result products
manufactured and do know that progress, especially when expedited, requires
good communication and sometimes breaking things when required (it's not
released for production yet) to achieve the goal.

I realize this is a philosophical discussion as of now and since I am not at
developer caliber - yet, you will all probably take this writing with a
grain of salt but my grain goes to the break it side of the scale with
appropriate notification(s) and get this project to beta asap.  If there is
concern regarding user flack, run a test announcement, then reasses.

Roger