extern variable question

Filip Navara xnavara at volny.cz
Wed Sep 15 23:55:26 CDT 2004

Francois Gouget wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Robert Reif wrote:
>[...]
>

>>OK.  Here is the beginnings of a joystick test.  I want to use
>>c_dfDIJoystick2 which is defined as extern in dinput.h and exists in
>>dinput.dll.so but is not exported.  It's also not exported in windows
>>dinput.dll but it is in dinput.lib.
>>

>Are you really sure it is not exported by dinput.dll? The usual tools
>list all the exported *functions* but I'm not sure they list exported
>variables. You seem to think that dinput.lib is a static library which
>is very doubtful.

In PSDK/MinGW W32API the [lib]dinput[8].[a/lib] is really a combination
of static and export library. It contains the
DIDATAFORMAT/DIOBJECTDATAFORMAT defintions for joystick (c_dfDIJoystick,
c_dfDIJoystick2), keyboard (c_dfDIKeyboard) and mouse (c_dfDIMouse,
c_dfDIMouse2) that are compiled to every application using it.

- Filip